Friday, May 20, 2011

4 flights and 1 glass of wine later

I MADE IT TO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it with no major problems and all of my luggage so I consider that success!! We flew out of Kansas City around 3pm on the 18th then flew to Minneapolis then to L.A. then to Sydney. Well it was supposed to go to Sydney but due to the fog, about 1 hour from Sydney they switched us to Brisbane. Which we were flying to Sydney to get on another flight to get to Brisbane so we thought that this would save us a flight but no, we flew to Brisbane and weren't aloud off the plane!! So we flew to Sydney just to switch flights and fly back to Brisbane. This caused what should have been a 14 hour flight form L.A. to Sydney to be 16 hours. It was horrible!! But there were plenty of movies and we made it to Brisbane only and hour later then we were supposed to, and with switching planes 4 times and the delay there were so many times for them to loose our luggage but we made it with everything! Now were checked into our Hostel where we will be for the next 4 nights.
I almost forgot to mention the adventure getting to the hostel from the hotel! This really nice guy who sat next to me on the plane to Brisbane told us how to find the shuttle from the air port to the hostel. So we followed his instructions and took what we thought was going to be a quick ride. But no! It took over an hour and the driver was a crazy driver along with everyone else here not to mention the fact that they drive on the wrong side of the road so it really throws you off! But we ended up getting to see all of downtown Brisbane before making it to our hostel which was kind of cool!
Once we got checked in we were starving so we decided to walk around and try to find some place to eat. We walked and walked and walked until we found a place were we could sit down and order. It was 4 o'clock in the afternoon so a lot of places weren't open but we were beginning to wonder if Australian's ate! We ended up at a place where we paid $16 dollars for a burger that wasn't very good but it was worth it because we also got to order our first glass of wine legally! It was the highlight of my day so far!
But I can barely hold my eyes open now because I've only got about 4 hours of sleep in the last 40 hrs so I'm going to head off to bed at 7 pm! Everyone else is getting here tomorrow at 8 am so we have to get up to meet them and I'm really excited! I bought a phone in Sydney so I will be able to make a few phone calls so I'm sure my mom will keep everyone in touch, right mom?! :) But for the next 4 nights I'll be in this same hostel and they charge you $10 a day for internet!!! It's so ridiculous and kills me to do it so I bought it for today but then as of tomorrow at 7 pm (and I'm 15 hours ahead of you) I won't have it again for a while. Tomorrow is nothing exciting though other then introductions but then the next day is when we go to Under Water World and I do my shark dive (if they approve of my doctors signature signing me off to do so, keep your fingers crossed) Which I'm sure I will have a lot to say after that so I'll probably suck it up and pay another $10 to use the internet but if not I'll hopefully be back on in a few days!
Take care everyone back in the states and I'll try to keep you posted as much a possible!
P.S. the fun fact of the day is that Australians call trash Rubbish! So on the trash cans it says rubbish and please through rubbish away here and we were told that if someone over hears you calling it trash you have to be careful because they may take it the wrong way and that's one of the worst things you could call someone here!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it okay. Have fun! Love you and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeeeaaaah! I so happy you finially made it!! I am so execited for you to begin your adventure. And yes, I will keep everyone up on your new news. Love you!

    ReplyDelete