Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Death March!

We presented our last research presentations last night and turned in our essays so now all school work is done and it's play time!!! Not that the school work was even bad but now we don't have to think about anything and we can completely relax! This afternoon we are headed to Cairns for 5 nights! We have all been looking so forward to Cairns since the very beginning but now that it's here were all starting to get sad because after this everyone leaves! The thought that I'll never see some of these people again is so sad and I don't want the next 5 days to end!!
This morning, being our last day on Orpheus, a group of us did the death march. It's called the death march because you are walking through a very dense forest on a tiny little path that the guys remarked the day before up a huge "hill" (to me it's more like a mountain). We went up over the hill and down the other side to the coast then we had to walk back up and over. The total trip was about 2 hours and it really was hard because it's so steep. I'm really gad I did it though because they view was great and it's cool to see the forest on the island. I'm very sad to be leaving this island because were not going to another one but I'm ready to go because my legs are covered in over 20 bug bites (from midges, they are like mosquitos but their bites swell up and itch even more) and since their only fresh water comes from rain, you are supposed to only take a 3 min shower (I did try to meet that but if you know me it wasn't very close to 3 min) so I'm dying for a long hot shower!! We should be getting into Cairns tonight at about 9:30 so before we go out I plan on doing just that! I should have internet in Cairns so I'll try to keep posting!
But I almost forgot to mention our snorkeling trip yesterday! Even though the water was pretty murky I have to say Yanks Jetty was my favorite place to snorkel! We went by boat over to a floating jetty and there were tons of fish! We brought some bread so while people were feeding the fish I was in the middle snorkeling. It was a huge frenzy and it was pretty cool. One of the little ones even came at my camera trying to bite it! After snorkeling we took off our wetsuits and jumped off the jetty bridge which was pretty fun! We then walked along the beach and found some cocoanuts. People worked really hard and cracked them open so I got to drink cocoanut milk and eat fresh cocoanut right there on the beach! It was pretty exciting!
That's about all for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment